Friday, September 7, 2007

Back to School 2007

Educating Each Student to be a Thriving Citizen.

September 7, 2007

Dear Colleagues,

The first week of school is behind us. Everywhere I went this past week, it
was clear that it was a very smooth start to the year – and that is because
of the great work of all. So, thank you for your dedication and hard work on
behalf of our students.

It seems our Welcome Back Celebration was a long time ago. At the end of the
Celebration I made a few remarks that I would like to repeat now that we
have the first 4 days of school behind us.

You may recall that I recognized Mr. Gary “Big” Miller who has taught many
years at Bend High. Gary had recently visited with me and said that he
never had a bad day teaching. That comment gave me to pause to reflect.
What Gary was saying is that working with young people is a privilege and
honor – and working with great colleagues makes it even better. I
certainly have been fortunate in my career to have that privilege and honor.
Each year that privilege and honor is renewed.

We are in a unique business because we start new and fresh each year – what
an opportunity. As I visited schools over the past two weeks, I felt the
enthusiasm and excitement that comes with a new beginning. Each new
beginning is also a chance for a rededication to our purpose and our
passion.

We are known in the Bend-La Pine Schools for many things. Foremost is that
we focus and thrive on student success – success of all students. In this
case – All means All. I have a simple but powerful request of each of you.
Please continue to focus on our purpose and on whatever it takes for each
student to succeed – that is the Bend-La Pine way.

Have a great second week of the 2007-08 school year.

Doug

Students First Success Focus Data Driven
Positive Relationships

No comments: